Phase 3 design coming for downtown project

The third phase has a total pricetag of $937,000.

With two phases of the Town Center project completed, the city of Snoqualmie has now begun efforts to design a concept for phase 3 improvements between Southeast Fir Street and Snoqualmie Parkway.

On June 24, the city council authorized a request for proposals for engineering consultant services for the phase 3 project. Funded with the help of a more than $800,000 in federal grants from the Puget Sound Regional Council (PSRC), the project aims to upgrade utilities by under-grounding the lines through the area, improving the multi-use path, pedestrian trail bridge, improve parking and add connections to trails.

The project will also feature safety improvements to have the trails, pedestrian bridge and bus stops meet the standards set by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The bus stops along the road will receive shelters to protect people from the rain as they wait for transit.

The consultant will begin work on the design phase of the project to determine what exact improvements are achievable in the third phase. Community Development director Mark Hofman said the designs will be shared with the public as development continues into 2020.

Phase 3 covers a portion of land zoned as open space — not commercial or retail — so no businesses could expand down the street. The purpose of the project is only to make improvements to utility and access, Hofman reiterated.

According to Jeff Hamlin, project engineer, the PSRC grant funding of $810,505 will make up 86.5 percent of the total funding for the design phase. The city match of $126,495 will be the remaining 13.5 percent for a total of $937,000.

Hamlin said the design of the project is expected to be finished in December 2020, with construction expected to begin in the summer of 2021.

The city council approved the the request for proposals with a 5-0 vote, with councilmembers Bob Jeans and Bryan Holloway not in attendance.


In consideration of how we voice our opinions in the modern world, we’ve closed comments on our websites. We value the opinions of our readers and we encourage you to keep the conversation going.

Please feel free to share your story tips by emailing editor@valleyrecord.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.valleyrecord.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) We reserve the right to edit letters, but if you keep yours to 300 words or less, we won’t ask you to shorten it.

More in News

One survey conducted by the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development found students who eat free breakfasts at school had 17.5 percent higher scores on math tests. File photo
SVSD distributes tens of thousands of extra meals amid pandemic

Congress hasn’t renewed the program, which provided twice as many student meals for free last spring.

Living Snoqualmie founder hired as North Bend PIO

Living Snoqualmie editor and writer Danna McCall has been hired by the… Continue reading

A photo of the carousel with horses. Contributed by North Bend Art and Industry
Historic carousel arrives in North Bend for planned Center for Art

The carousel will be the centerpiece for the planned regional arts center.

The Enumclaw Health and Rehabilitation Center, which is located by St. Elizabeth hospital, a senior living community, and a nursing home. File photo
Inslee lifts visitation ban at long-term care facilities

Starting Wednesday, a four-phase plan will allow restrictions at nursing homes to gradually be relaxed.

Screenshot from Gov. Jay Inslee’s press conference on Aug. 5, 2020.
Inslee says schools in virus hot spots should stay closed

King County among high-risk counties; several school districts will have remote learning in the fall.

King County Election headquarters in Renton on Aug. 4 for the primary election. Haley Ausbun/staff photo
Inslee and Culp lead governor race; incumbent Dems ahead for Congress | Statewide results

Early results for governor, state schools chief, attorney general and more.

Photo courtesy of Snoqualmie Pass Fire and Rescue.
Snoqualmie Pass Fire and Rescue charge renewal is passing

The Snoqualmie Pass Fire and Rescue benefit charge is passing with 100%… Continue reading

Democrats dominate King County legislative races | Election results

Here are the latest results for King County legislative candidates in the… Continue reading

Vote election badge. File photo
5th District results: Ramos leads House race; Anderson edging Mullett for state Senate

Early results have been reported in the 5th Legislative District races from… Continue reading

Most Read