Cedarcrest out-muscles Wildcats

In a game played under a steady rain and in front of a small but spirited audience of Cedarcrest and Mount Si fans, the Red Wolves picked up goals from Tommy Felts and Trebor Gillie on its way to defeating the Wildcats 2-1.

It was the only game between the two Valley rivals in 3A KingCo boys' soccer this season, which took place Thursday, March 21, at Mount Si High School.

Midfielder Dan Talevich scored the lone goal for Mount Si during a game that got physical at times, with numerous tackles and trips by both sides.

Wildcat coach Glenn Cramer was unhappy with how physical it got.

"Well, yeah, the referee really wasn't calling a very good game in my eyes; [he] let some things go that shouldn't have gone, but that's no excuse," he said. "We just didn't finish with the ball and put it in the net."

Cedarcrest outshot Mount Si 17-14 in the game. The Red Wolves opened the scoring with the goal by Felts, a senior forward. He scored off a pass from fellow senior forward Matt Mundy in the 16th minute of the first half. It gave Cedarcrest a 1-0 lead that the team would take into the half-time break.

Dan Talevich's goal for the Wildcats opened the second half. It came off a pass from Roger Patterson seven minutes in, tying the contest at 1-1.

Gillie, a senior midfielder, sent a free kick past Wildcat goalkeeper Eddie Becker in the 13th minute, and that put Cedarcrest back up 2-1. Mount Si kept trying, getting good chances, but the Red Wolves' defense was up to the task.

In stoppage time, though, the Wildcats' Pete Talevich barely missed what would have been the tying goal, kicking the ball just over the top of the net.

Mount Si returned Saturday for a matine'e against Skyline, and Cramer vowed things would change. "We're going to have to come out and play a little better than we [did] tonight. "Skyline's a pretty good ball club and we've got to turn this season around," he said.

In other action for the Wildcats this week:

Newport 7, Mount Si 1

The Wildcats went to Newport Tuesday and were hammered by the Knights 7-1. Dan Barnes scored the lone goal for Mount Si, but by the time he scored, all it did was break the shutout bid of the Newport goalie.

Mount Si 4, Skyline 2

The game was a tale of two halves. Skyline scored two quick goals to go up 2-0 on the Wildcats. The Cats then came out strong in the second half.

Drew Arenth opened the onslaught with a goal in the eighth minute on a breakaway from Dan Barnes, and Evan Lamon tied the game at the 13-minute mark on a beautiful shot past Skyline goalie Warren Creech, with Arenth assisting.

Barnes scored what would turn out to be the game winner on a header from Pete Talevich at the 30-minute mark; then Andy Divers added an insurance goal in injury time on a shot that surprised Creech. The scoring drive was set up by a spectacular save from Mount Si goalie Kellon Patterson.

"Well, [the team] came out fired up today," Cramer said. "We knew we needed a victory today, and the guys hung in there and I knew we outplayed them in the first half. The scoreboard didn't show it, but we outplayed them, so they came out [in the] second half ready to go and put it away."

The Wildcats next game is against Sammamish on Tuesday, and Cramer is hoping for the same.

"[I] expect us to come out and play the same way we did today and keep the season going," he said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.