'Cats fall short at Sea-King tournament

— image credit:

For the third time in two seasons, a basketball team from Newport High School has eliminated a Mount Si squad from postseason competition.

Last Friday the Mount Si High School girls' basketball team fell to the Knights, 50-41, ending their season. Prior to that, Newport eliminated the girls in a playoff game to end the 2001-2002 season. Then, just two weeks ago, Newport eliminated the Mount Si boys' squad from the Kingco Conference Tournament.

Against the Knights, Mount Si sophomore guard Rachel Travis and senior post Nicci Landdeck joined Knights senior guard Jess Matyas and junior wing Ryan Trettevik in scoring a game-high 12 points to lead their respective teams.

The third quarter was the big story as the Knights blew open a small halftime lead and did not look back.

"It's been a bugaboo for us all year, the third quarter, for whatever reason," said Mount Si Coach Dirk Hansen. "Next year, we're thinking about just staying out on the court at halftime and not going in. But you know . . . that's a bunch of seniors versus a bunch of young girls, and they beat us by nine points. If I'm Newport right now, I'm a little disappointed in the way we played. But you know, the W is a W, and I've never been more proud of my girls ever."

Mount Si opened the first quarter by blowing out to a quick lead. After Landdeck scored to make it 9-2 Mount Si, Knights' coach Travis Whitaker called time-out to settle his team down and it worked. The Knights chipped away at the Wildcats' lead the rest of the quarter and trailed 11-7 after one.

The Knights continued to make their way back into contention in the second quarter, eventually taking the lead 16-15 with 2:55 left in the half on a basket by sophomore post Kalla Vavra. Wildcat junior post Karin Brevick hit a basket just 48 seconds after Vavra's bucket to give her team the lead. However, that lead was short lived, as Knights senior guard Molly Johnston hit a three-pointer with 40 seconds left in the half to put Newport back up at halftime, 21-17.

After Brevick hit a basket to open the second half for Mount Si, Newport went on a 14-4 run that put the game away. Newport was up 35-23 after three, and the Knights maintained the lead, despite a couple of attempted comebacks by Mount Si, to hold on for the win.

For the complete story, pick up a copy of this week's Valley Record

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.