- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Fast legs, big bats are Mount Si baseball’s advantage | 2014 preview
Cages and gyms are OK in rainy weather. But the soft-spoken, athletic Mount Si junior Carson Breshears was clearly ready for some spring sunshine and real ball.
“The guys are ready to get after it,” said Breshears, who took the field on a warm Tuesday afternoon with the varsity for practice in the sun. “It’s good to get on the actual field and play live.”
Breshears will be at the top of the lineup for the Wildcats, then doff his helmet for his second season at shortstop. After a fourth-place finish at state last season, this team wants to do better. Breshears sees a lot of depth on both varsity and JV.
“I think we’ll be good for years to come,” he said.
Mount Si has several varsity returners to rely on. Among seniors, vet Zach Usselman is back as catcher, Evan Johnson will hold down right field, Wyatt Baker returns to center field, and Tanner Simpson is back at second base. The rest of the positions were up for grabs as of last week. Head coach Zach Habben will also see how things shake down on the mound, so the battery right now is fluid.
“We’re going to have to have some guys step up, throwing,” said Breshears.
Johnson is comfortable and confident in his role. Right field feels natural, and he gets plenty of action. The boys know they need to work hard and condition.
“We’re going to be out here till it gets dark,” Johnson said. “We’re going to try to outwork everyone, as far as drills, hitting.”
Batters at the top like Breshears and Baker are fast.
“We’re going to use that speed to our advantage,” promises Johnson.
• You can follow Mount Si baseball at http://mtsihsbaseball.com/.
Evan Johnson, above, is a returning senior on the Mount Si baseball team. He plays right field.
Mount Si baseball schedule
Thursday, March 20
• Mount Si at Peninsula High School, 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 22
• Mount Si vs. Newport at Safeco Field, Seattle, noon.
Monday, March 24
• Mount Si at Bothell, 4 p.m.
Saturday, March 29
• Mount Si vs. Walla Walla at Kamiakin High School, 2 p.m., vs. Kamiakin at Kamiakin, 4 p.m.
Friday, April 4
• Mount Si hosts Juanita, 4:30 p.m.
Monday, April 7
• Mount Si at Interlake, 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 9
• Mount Si at Sammamish, 4:30 p.m.
Friday, April 11
• Mount Si hosts Lake Washington, 4:30 p.m.
Monday, April 14
• Mount Si at Bellevue, 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 16
• Mount Si at Mercer Island, Island Crest Park, 6 p.m.
Friday, April 18
• Mount Si at Liberty, 4:30 p.m.
Monday, April 21
• Mount Si at Juanita, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, April 23
• Mount Si hosts Interlake, 4:30 p.m.
Friday, April 25
• Mount Si hosts Sammamish, 4:30 p.m.
Monday, April 28
• Mount Si at Lake Washington, time TBD
Wednesday, April 30
• Mount Si hosts Bellevue, 4:30 p.m.
Friday, May 2
• Mount Si hosts Mercer Island, 4:30 p.m.
Monday, May 5
• Mount Si hosts Liberty, 4:30 p.m.