- About Us
Ring the bell: Reloaded Cedarcrest girls want state rematch, not a repeat
Every day, before every practice, the members of the Cedarcrest varsity girls basketball team ring a bell purpose-mounted on the wall of the gym.
A sign next to the bell reads, "Round 2." That's the theme of this year's season.
Don't call this a repeat or a re-do. This is a rematch.
"We don't want to repeat what we did at state," said team co-captain Susan Kenney. "We want to go further. We want to go all the way. It's round 2, like wrestling. We're ready to go out there and go after it."
The Cedarcrest girls made it to the round of eight last year, then fell in two games in the state tournament. They were the first Red Wolves girls team to get that far. Six of this squad were part of that team, and they've kept a lot of the experience and team bond. Most played together in the offseason on a club squad, Edmonds Woodway.
"We're super close, and this year, we're better at getting each other to improve," said Kenney. "We're all comfortable with each other, and we have the same goal."
Starters have lost a little height, but plan to make up for that with speed and fire.
"They're not gonna score. They're just not gonna score," Kenney said of her defensive specialist role. Kenney also tries to pull the team together and encourage everyone to do their best.
I ask co-captains Kaylee Fowler and Kathryn Smith to describe each other.
"She has clutch shots when we need them. She also really has good drive," Smith says of Fowler.
Smith is "a competitor," said Fowler. "She gets feisty. We all know what she wants."
"We're a fast team that can shoot," said returning head coach Brad Knowles. The seniors lead by example, and Knowles also has three juniors who went to state, Avery Rich, Megan Ditore and Luann Townley, to reinforce this squad. Ditore, who moved up from junior varsity, is a particularly strong shooter.
Every time the bell rings, the message is sent.
"They're not aiming for a repeat of last season," said Knowles. "They want a trophy."
Cedarcrest girls basketball schedule
Wednesday, Dec. 11
• Cedarcrest at Mount Si, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 13
• CHS at South Whidbey, 6:45 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 17
• Cedarcrest hosts Sultan, 6:45 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 27
• Prostock Winter Classic vs. Franklin, 12:45
Saturday, Dec. 28
• Prostock Winter Classic , 12:45 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 7
• CHS at Archbishop Murphy, 6:45 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 10
• CHS hosts Granite Falls, 6:45 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 14
• Cedarcrest at Kings, 6:45 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 17
• Cedarcrest hosts Lakewood, 6:45 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 21
• Cedarcrest at Coupeville, 6:45 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 24
• Cedarcrest hosts South Whidbey, 6:45 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 28
• Cedarcrest at Sultan, 6:45 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 31
• Cedarcrest hosts Archbishop Murphy, 6:45 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 4
• Cedarcrest at Granite Falls, 6:45 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 7
• Cedarcrest hosts Kings, 6:45 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 10
• Cedarcrest at Lakewood, 6:45 p.m.