“Finally, someone to run with!” says Bailey Scott.
This senior leader on the Mount Si cross country team is stoked about the young group of runners around her. Slowed by a health issue during track season last spring, she’s pushing for a major comeback this fall.
“I know I can do a big PR (personal record),” says Scott, who’s been a varsity performer for this team since at least sophomore year. Improved times and state are her goals.
“I’m ready, mentally,” she says. “I’m prepared to go out there and do my best. I have these freshmen to push me... They look really strong. I think our team can go really far this year,” she said.
Watch for her and Abbey Bottemiller to lead the team with help from fast sophomore Elizabeth Johanson and junior Ariana Moreno.
For the boys, senior Spencer Ricks, Jonny Gendro, a sophomore, freshman Grant Baker, and Tanner Sundwall should be making tracks.
Ricks did the Ragnar Relay in Snohomish County with a slate of Wildcat running alums, and had a good experience.
Looking around, Ricks is struck by the biggest Wildcat cross-country team he’s ever seen.
“I’m hoping to get personal records and improve a lot,” he said.
Mount Si Cross Country schedule
Wednesday, Sept. 11
• Mount Si at jamboree vs. Bellevue, Interlake, Juanita, Lake Washington, Liberty, Mercer Island and Sammamish, at Lake Sammamish State Park, 4 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept. 18
• Mount Si vs. Bellevue and Lake Washington at Marymoor Park, 4 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept. 25
• Mount Si hosts Juanita and Sammamish, 4 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 2
• Mount Si vs. Interlake at Marymoor Park, 4 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 9
• Mount Si hosts Mercer Island, Sammamish, 4 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 16
• Mount Si vs. Mercer Island and Liberty at Luther Burbank Park.
Thursday, Oct. 24
• KingCo Championships at Lake Sammamish State Park, 4 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 31
• Districts at Lake Sammamish State Park, 2 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 9
• State finals at Sun Willows Golf Course, Pasco.