Track has been an exciting discovery for Luke Driscoll, a Cedarcrest High School senior who just started running last year. His first season began with a 12-second 100-meter dash, and ended with an 11:18 personal record, and a trip to the state track meet.
"I've never been a runner," he says, "but I've always been fast."
This season promises just as much excitement for the sprinter, who plans to run the 400-meter race by the end of the season, and to shave almost a half-second off his 100-meter time.
Aside from being naturally fast, Driscoll thinks his success comes from his determination. "Just always set goals, and try to achieve them," he explains. "It's what I did last year."
He also tries to help his fellow runners achieve their goals, however he can.
"If a teammate beats me, fine," he says, "but if another team beats me, that's not OK!"
Cedarcrest track and field schedule
Thursday, March 14
• Cedarcrest jamboree at home, 4 p.m.
Thursday, March 21
• Cedarcrest hosts Kings and South Whidbey, 4 p.m.
Thursday, March 28
• Cedarcrest vs. Lakewood, Sultan and Kings at Kings, 4 p.m.
Saturday, March 30
• Cedarcrest at Holder Relays, 10 a.m.
Saturday, April 6
• Cedarcrest at Birger Solberg Invite, 10 a.m.
Thursday, April 11
• Cedarcrest hosts Lake Washington and Sammamish, 4 p.m.
Thursday, April 18
• Cedarcrest hosts Lakewood and Sultan, 4 p.m.
Thursday, April 25
• Cedarcrest vs. Granite Falls and Lakewood, at Lakewood, 4 p.m.
Saturday, April 27
• Cedarcrest girls at Lake Washington Invite, 9:30 a.m.
• Cedarcrest boys at Shoreline Invite, noon.
Thursday, May 2
• Cascade conference championships at Kings, 4 p.m.
Follow Cedarcrest track at http://www.chs.riverview.wednet.edu/Track%20Page/TFMain.htm.