Look to seniors Carlos Toledano and Nick Decker to lead the pack of Red Wolves wrestlers this winter.
Toledano, who will hold down the 152-pound class, and Decker, expected to weigh in at about 140, trained hard for the season. They're back and looking strong.
Toledano took fifth in state last season, and wrestles extensively, year-round, with Snoqualmie Valley Wrestling Club. Both boys took part in an intensive two-week camp this summer to build their skills.
Wrestling is life for Toledano.
"I dedicate my life to it. It's all I do all year," he says.
Combatting illness, he took fifth at state last year. His goal this year: to be a state champion.
He wants to see his team push to succeed. Practice is important.
"You can't have a lazy partner—you won't get any better," Toledano says. "You have to push each other. You both have to be driven, or else you'll take shortcuts."
Decker got to regionals last year, and like Toledano, he's hungry for a title.
Both attended the same two-week camp in Oregon this year.
"It was tough," Decker said, with an emphasis on running and wrestling.
Smaller in numbers this winter, this team, he says, is a unique group.
"There's no on else like us," Decker says.
"Just keep pushing," he advises his teammates. "You can't give up."
Cedarcrest wrestling schedule
Wednesday, Dec. 5
• Double dual meet at home with Lake Washington, Sammamish and Sultan, 6 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 8
• Tournament at Lake Washington High School, 9 a.m.
Thursday, Dec. 13
• Cedarcrest hosts Sultan, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 15
• Monroe Bearcat tournament, 10 a.m.
Saturday, Dec. 29
• Eastside Catholic and Eastmond tournaments
Thursday, Jan. 3
• Cedarcrest at Granite Falls, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 10
• Cedarcrest hosts Archbishop Murphy, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 12
• Kent-Meridian Tournament, 10 a.m.
Thursday, Jan. 17
• Cedarcrest at South Whidbey, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 24
• Cedarcrest at Lakewood, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 26
• Cedarcrest at Mount Si
Wednesday, Jan. 30
• Cedarcrest hosts Interlake, 7 p.m.
Friday and Saturday, Feb. 1 and 2
• Subregionals at Sultan
Saturday, Feb. 9
• Regionals at Sedro-Wooley. Top four go to state.
Friday and Saturday, Feb. 15 and 16
• State tournament at Tacoma Dome. Top eight place.