1. Who was the first major-league player to notch 1,000 extra-base hits for his career?
2. Entering 2008, how many consecutive conference titles had Rice University’s baseball team captured?
3. Wide receiver Michael Irvin was the fourth member of the University of Miami (Fla.) to be selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Name two of the first three to make it.
4. Name the last NBA team to lose in the Finals one season and win the NBA championship the next year.
5. True or false: Since the 2002 NHL Stanley Cup between Detroit and Carolina, no Stanley Cup finalist has won a round in the next year’s playoffs.
6. Entering 2008, who was the last person to win the Iditarod dog-sled race two consecutive years?
7. Name the first horse to win both the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile race and the Kentucky Derby.
1. Detroit’s Ty Cobb in 1925.
2. Twelve — the Southwest Conference in 1996, the Western Athletic Conference from 1997 through 2005, and Conference USA in 2006-07.
3. Ted Hendricks, Jim Kelly and Jim Otto.
4. The Detroit Pistons in 1988 (lost to the Los Angeles Lakers) and 1989 (beat the Lakers).
6. Doug Swingley, 1999-2001.
7. Street Sense in 2006 (Breeders’ Cup Juvenile) and 2007 (Kentucky Derby).
(c) 2008 King Features Synd. Inc.