Bush is misleading the American people
October 3, 2008 · Updated 3:01 AM
If President Bush was truly interested in promoting ownership in America, he would stop pursuing economic policies that reward the few while the many lose ground.
For starters, he would:
- Start fixing a broken healthcare system that's straining families and small businesses.
- Drop his opposition to a living wage.
- Reverse his plans to cut back Pell grants that make college affordable to working- and middle-class kids.
- Craft trade and tax policies that clamp down on the flight of jobs abroad.
- Abandon his plans to extend the tax cuts for the wealthiest 1 percent - those who make $1 million or more. (They already received $148 billion in cuts last year.)
- Ditch his risky Social Security privatization scheme that would require benefit cuts and jeopardize millions of men and women who live a few steps away from relentless poverty.
Let's try a novel idea and intelligently structure a domestic policy that pursues the most good for the most people for the longest time.