Opinion

Support SVSD levies on Feb. 5 ballot

On Feb. 5, the Snoqualmie Valley School District will be asking voters by special election to renew the district's four-year operations levy that expires this year and a transportation levy to pay for the replacement and purchase of additional buses. Most of us know that the state of Washington funds only 80 percent of the cost of our children's education. The remaining 20 percent of our educational programs are paid for using local tax dollars. That's you and me.

As taxpayers, we have much to be proud of. In a recent article in the Seattle Times, they reported that "for nearly 15 years, parents and patrons (of the Snoqualmie Valley School District) have passed every school bond and levy but one," and as a result, they report that "test scores ... have soared to some of the highest in the state." Our community's continued commitment to our teachers, administrators, bus drivers, counselors, coaches, school office staff, custodians and a host of other certified and certificated professionals have made our schools a better place for our children to learn and grow.

We ask for your continued support by voting "yes" on Feb. 5.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Nov 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.