Blotter: Holiday candles, ornaments and icy roads keep local fire crews busy

Police and fire agencies in the Snoqualmie Valley responded to the following calls:

  • Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:22pm
  • News

Snoqualmie Fire Department

Thursday, Dec. 21

Smoking heater: At 11:20 a.m., Snoqualmie firefighters responded to a report of a smoking electric heater at an apartment complex. All occupants of the home were outside when the crew arrived. One of them said a child put a small paper ornament in the heater vent which caused the smoke. Firefighters cut the power to the unit and advised the maintenance person to call for repairs to the heater.

Smoke machine: At 10:50 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to a fire alarm at the Church on the Ridge. They found the alarm had been set off by a smoke machine. They reset the alarm and cleared the smoke from the room.

Friday, Dec. 22

Assist: At 10:42 p.m., firefighters assisted a Hospice patient to move from a chair into bed.

Saturday, Dec. 23

Assist: At 8:31 a.m., firefighters helped a handicapped man get to his feet.

Sunday, Dec. 24

Electrical odor: At 11:39 a.m., firefighters responded to a fire alarm at a Snoqualmie Ridge restaurant. They investigated and determined an electrical smell was coming from the furnace. They turned off the thermostat and told the owner to call a repairman.

Electrical odor 2: At 2:24 p.m., firefighters received another report of an electrical odor, this time, in a house, on the second floor. They found a burned out light bulb to be the cause of the odor.

Rollover: At 8:39 p.m., Snoqualmie firefighters responded to a rollover motor vehicle accident. Crews assessed the driver and determined he was uninjured.

Monday, Dec. 25

Fall: At 8:38 a.m., the department assisted a 69-year-old man who had fallen and needed help getting up. Firefighters helped lift him into his reclining chair.

Garage fire: At 4:16 p.m., Snoqualmie firefighters responded with other units to a fully-involved garage fire off Mt. Si Road. Upon arrival, firefighters supplied other units with water, and Snoqualmie crew members attacked the fire, from the exterior. The garage was a total loss, investigation was handled by the King County fire investigator.

Accident: At 9:06 p.m., the crew was dispatched to a single motor-vehicle accident in North Bend. The recently snowfall made the roads icy and access was limited. Firefighters arrived to find the King County Sheriff’s Office already on scene. The vehicle had apparently slid off the roadway into a telephone pole, shearing the pole at its base. The vehicle was empty. Deputies said they notified the phone company and would handle the vehicle recovery.

House fire: At 11:23 p.m., Snoqualmie and other units on the eastside responded to a residential fire in Carnation. The crew provided staff for fire suppression and scene overhaul, fighting the fire from the outside only. The house was a total loss, investigation was being handled by the King County fire investigator.

Wednesday, Dec. 27

House fire: At 2:23 a.m., Snoqualmie firefighters responded with other eastside units to a residential structure fire in the Ernie’s Grove area. The homeowner had reported that her dining room table and surrounding area were on fire, she couldn’t put out the flames and was evacuating. The crew spoke with the woman outside with her dog. She said the fire was in the back corner, and she was the only one inside. Firefighters attacked the fire from the front of the building, because of smoke, and extinguished it. The homeowner said the fire may have been started by an unattended candle on an Advent wreath on the table. She was displaced because of smoke damage and given temporary assistance. King County fire investigators took over the investigation.

Chest pain: At 8:09 a.m., Snoqualmie firefighters assisted a 58-year-old man reporting chest pain. They examined the man, then he was transported to an area hospital.

False alarm: At 3:38 p.m., the department was dispatched to a fire alarm at the Echo Glen Children’s Center maintenance shop. Firefighters spoke with security staff, who said there was no fire and that they did not know why the alarm was triggered. They left the system in trouble mode with the building under a fire watch.

Medical aid: In addition to the above calls, Snoqualmie EMTs responded to 14 medical aid incidents, bringing the total number of calls to date to 1060.

Fall City Fire Department

Thursday, Dec. 21

Fall: At 3:16 p.m., Fall City firefighters assisted a 91-year-old woman who had fallen. She was treated and transported to an area hospital via private ambulance.

Friday, Dec. 22

Abdominal pain: At 1:53 a.m., firefighters responded to a 56-year-old woman reporting abdominal pain. She was treated and transported to a local hospital via the Fall City Fire aid car.

Fuel spill: At 3:51 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to a fuel spill, where they put fuel-absorbent material on the roadway.

Saturday, Dec. 23

Intoxicated: At 12:09 a.m., firefighters responded to a report of a 55-year-old man who was intoxicated. The patient refused treatment and evaluation.

Unconscious: At 12:49 p.m., firefighters assisted an 80-year-old woman displaying a decreased level of consciousness. She was also seen by a paramedic unit from Bellevue Fire and was then transported to an area hospital via the medic unit.

Sunday, Dec. 24

Syncope: At 3:54 p.m., firefighters responded to an 83-year-old man experiencing a syncopal episode. The patient was treated and transported to an area hospital via the Fall City Fire aid car.

Rollover: At 5:17 p.m., firefighters responded to rollover motor vehicle accident. They contacted one patient, who was not injured.

Short of breath: At 8:48 p.m., firefighters assisted an 83-year-old man experiencing shortness of breath. The patient was also seen by a paramedic unit from Bellevue Fire, then transported to an area hospital via the medic unit.

Monday, Dec. 25

Garage fire: At 4:16 p.m., firefighters responded to a fully involved garage fire and assisted in extinguishing it.

House fire: At 11:23 p.m., firefighters responded to a fully involved residential structure fire and assisted in extinguishing it.

Wednesday, Dec. 27

House fire: At 2:23 a.m., firefighters responded to a residential structure fire. The fire was extinguished.

Short of breath: At 10 p.m., firefighters responded to report of a 4-year-old girl with shortness of breath. She was also seen by a paramedic unit from Bellevue Fire. The patient was treated and transported to an area hospital via private auto.

More in News

Company plans to open King County coal mine later this year

A Black Diamond mine was granted a permit to resume mining by the Department of the Interior.

King County considers buying 65,000 acres for conservation

The proposed plan would protect forests, trails, shorelines, and farms.

Police help shivering subject outside of Safeway | Police blotter for May 13-18

The blotter does not represent each incident involving Snoqualmie police.

Tips for staying safe around Washington wildlife

In the wake of a deadly cougar attack near North Bend here’s some tips on staying safe.

City breaks ground on long-awaited North Bend City Hall

New facilitiy is estimated to cost about $6.7 million.

Roza Irrigation District manager Scott Revell inspects a water gauge in the lower Yakima Valley. If a drought pump is installed in Kachess Lake it would mean a more reliable source of water for crops in the valley. Aaron Kunkler/Staff photo
Puget Sound residents worried about Kachess Lake plan

A pump to supply much-needed water to Eastern Washington during droughts could affect recreation.

Cougar kills mountain biker, injures another near North Bend

It was the first fatal cougar attack in Washington State in 94 years.

5th Legislative, 8th Congressional District hopefuls file for office

Twelve will run for outgoing Rep. Dave Reichert’s (WA-8) seat.

Most Read