Blotter: Fuel spilled at Parkway and Railroad; Composting mulch pile ignites, burns porch

Police and fire agencies in the Snoqualmie Valley responded to the following calls:

  • Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:22pm
  • News

Police and fire agencies in the Snoqualmie Valley responded to the following calls:

Snoqualmie Fire Department

Thursday, Aug. 31

Alarm: At 2:05 a.m., Snoqualmie firefighters were dispatched to a residential fire alarm. Outside the house, they met the homeowners, who said the alarms started going off suddenly. Firefighters walked around the house, located and removed a bad detector. The home’s other detectors were operating normally and the family was allowed back in their home.

Fuel spill: At 7:46 a.m., Snoqualmie firefighters arrived at a fuel spill reported from an unknown source at S.R. 202 and the Snoqualmie Parkway. A 55-gallon container was the source of the spill. Crews notified the Washington State Patrol and Snoqualmie Public Works Department about the spill, to arrange cleanup.

Friday, Sept. 1

Bark fire: At 7:06 p.m., firefighters responded to a report of a bark fire. They arrived at the scene of the report to find residents extinguishing a 2-by-2-foot smoldering bark fire, which was likely caused by disposed cigarette. Residents said this had previously occurred in the same area with same cause. Cigarette butts were found scattered all around the smoldering areas. Firefighters saturated the area with water.

Saturday, Sept. 2

Porch fire: At 4:07 a.m., Snoqualmie firefighters were called to a house fire on SE Kinsey Street. They arrived to find flames coming from the eaves of the front porch roof. They extinguished the fire and assisted with searching for the occupants and giving them aid. There were no injuries. The King County Sheriff’s Office fire investigator determined that the source was mulch put next to the house a few days earlier. The composting mulch ignited a bush next to the house, exposing flamed to the porch roof.

Smoke: At 9:45 a.m., firefighters responded to a report of smoke in an area near S.R. 18 and I-90, called in first by a passerby and then by multiple nearby residents. The crew noted a large thermal column in the area on their arrival at the scene. They located the fire, a large 30-by-30-foot burn pile with stumps, logs and construction debris and extinguished the fire.

Sunday, Sept. 3

Smoke: At 7:12 p.m., Snoqualmie firefighters responded to Coal Mine Road for a report of smoke in the area from an unknown source. The caller stated she believed it was from a homeless encampment in the area. Firefighters patrolled the area and noticed some lazy smoke in the air, and a slight odor of wood smoke, but they were unable to locate a source.

Monday, Sept. 4

Alarm: At 4:48 p.m., firefighters responded to a fire alarm, apparently caused by food burning on the stove. They confirmed with the resident that it was an accident and there was no fire.

False alarm: At 7:12 p.m., Snoqualmie firefighters responded to a report of a smell of paint thinner in the area. They arrived in the area and found that a homeowner down the street from the caller had been staining his deck, and the wind carried the smell throughout the neighborhood.

Tuesday, Sept. 5

Smoke: At 2:02 a.m., and again at 3:26 a.m., firefighters responded to reports of smoke and ash in the area. They investigated and found the smoke and ash was from the wildfires in the Cle Elum area.

Collision: At 7:17 p.m., Snoqualmie firefighters assisted with extricating a patient from under the passenger-side dashboard, damaged when the car had been in an accident. The patient was extricated without tools and prepared for transport to an area hospital.

Wednesday, Sept. 6

Carbon monoxide: At 6:29 a.m., firefighters dispatched to a carbon monoxide alarm. The crew arrived to find the residents out of the home and in the back yard. A carbon monoxide alarm was sounding. They checked the house with a gas monitor and found no problems.

Water leak: At 8:22 a.m., firefighters responded to a fire alarm at a private home. Upon arrival, they found the smoke detectors going off for no apparent reason. Upon investigation, they discovered water inside one of the detectors. They dismantled the detector to try to discover the source of the leak, but could not. They advised the homeowner to call a plumber about the leak.

Medical aid: In addition to the above calls, Snoqualmie EMTs responded to seven medical aid incidents, bringing the total number of calls to date to 762.

More in News

After Seattle’s controversial employee head tax was repealed, King County Executive Dow Constantine wants to bond against existing tax revenues to generate $100 million for affordable housing. Photo by Joe Mabel/Wikipedia Commons
County executive proposes $100 million affordable housing bond

The money was already coming, but Constantine wants to speed up the process.

The Snoqualmie skate park will be located directly to the south of the existing basketball court and will offer sweeping views of nearby mountains. Aaron Kunkler/Staff photo
                                The Snoqualmie skate park will be located directly to the south of the existing basketball court and will offer sweeping views of nearby mountains. Aaron Kunkler/Staff photo
Snoqualmie skate park developer awarded contract by council

The council approved a public works contract with Gridline Skateparks to build the park.

Seattle and King County officials want a safe injection van

The mobile project—an alternative to permanent sites—still doesn’t have a defined timeline.

An autopsy found that Tommy Le was shot twice in the back during an fatal encounter with a King County sheriff’s deputy. Photo courtesy Career Link
New report calls for increased transparency from King County Sheriff’s Office

The fatal shooting of Tommy Le served as a case study for researchers.

North Bend Council member Pettersen resigns

Applications for vacant position now open.

A scene from the 2017 Women’s March Seattle. Photo by Richard Ha/Flickr
County sexual harassment policies could be overhauled

One King County councilmember says male-dominated departments have “workplace culture issues.”

Western Washington could see more wildfires this year

Lots of grass and warmer weather could make for worsening fire seasons.

Developed by Seattle & King County Public Health, the FLASH sex education high school curriculum is used by every district in the county. Photo courtesy King County
King County wins sex ed funding case

Officials are “ecstatic” that the court blocked the Trump administration’s attempt to withhold research funds.

Valley volunteers help remove invasive plants from Stillwater Bog

The event was a partnership between the Snoqualmie Valley YMCA and the Green Snoqualmie Partnership.

Eastside groups discuss homelessness and affordable housing at community events

Five area service providers recently hosted a joint event to educate community members about the impacts of homelessness.

‘Businesses beware’

Misleading letter calls for annual registration renewals in attempts to fraud local businesses.

Some King County elected leaders want to spend $180 million on maintenance upkeep at Safeco Field in Seattle. Photo by HyunJae Park/Flickr
King County leaders want to allocate $180 million to Safeco Field

But once councilmember thinks funding for affordable housing and the arts should come before subsidizing stadium maintenance.