Blotter: Child pulls fire alarm; Tree fall causes power outage

  • Monday, November 20, 2017 2:13pm
  • News

Police and fire agencies in the Snoqualmie Valley responded to the following calls:

Snoqualmie Fire Department

Thursday, Nov. 9

Tree fall: At 12:08 a.m., Snoqualmie firefighters responded to reports of a tree that had fallen into the power lines, causing sparking. Multiple parties reported hearing three large explosions along with bright flashes of light. Power was still on in the area. The crew arrived to find numerous citizens pointing to the main transmission lines for the region coming from Snoqualmie Falls. Sparks were visible from the tree and embers could be seen falling from the branches. The tree bounced multiple times off the line, but showed no signs of arcing or sparking. It appeared the tree had already shorted out the lines and stopped transmission. PSE was advised, but no time of arrival was given due to multiple calls in the region.

Accident: At 6:25 a.m., Snoqualmie firefighters were dispatched to a reported pedestrian-car accident. Initial reports said a mid 20’s man went completely under a pickup truck and was unable to move his legs. Firefighters found a single patient lying on the ground, no longer under the vehicle. The patient was lying on his side, not moving, clearly trying to brace himself. He was alert and stated that he could not move his leg. The man said he had been trying to run beside a work truck as it left the yard, but tripped, fell and went completely under the vehicle. An exam revealed an obvious right leg fracture and other associated scrapes and minor cuts. The man was transferred to an area hospital.

Fire alarm: At 5:12 p.m., firefighters responded to a fire alarm at Cascade View Elementary School. The alarm was set off by employees cooking hotdogs and vegetables for a fundraiser. Smoke was cleared out and the alarm was reset.

Friday, Nov. 10

Fuel leak: At 10:17 a.m., Snoqualmie firefighters were dispatched to a report of a fuel leak from the back of a truck. Firefighters were met by the bystander who called it in, and directed to the vehicle. The vehicle appeared to have fuel leaking out the back of the truck bed – in the bed were multiple fuel cans and one appeared to be leaking. The can in question was removed and absorbent material was spread to contain the spill. The owner of the vehicle came out and said he would take care of the fuel tank and complete the clean-up.

Saturday, Nov. 11

False alarm: At 1:31 a.m., firefighters responded to a residential fire alarm set off by bad batteries. No fire was found.

Sunday, Nov. 12

False alarm: At 12:09 a.m., Snoqualmie firefighters were dispatched to a fire alarm at Life Point Church. Upon arrival, nothing was found. Crews were not able to access the interior of the building and did an outside search with nothing found through the windows. Dispatch was informed. The church is still in a state of remodel.

Monday, Nov. 15

Tree fall: At 5:07 p.m., firefighters responded to a report of trees down near the entrance to DirtFish Rally School. A unit drove through the area and found, due to the wind, there were many small trees down. However, none were an imminent hazard to the public. The Public Works department was notified.

False alarm: At 10:21 p.m., Snoqualmie firefighters responded to a report of a carbon monoxide alarm activation. They arrived to find a power outage in the area and a homeowner outside. He said the CO detectors were brand new, and should have new batteries. Firefighters walked the structure with a gas monitor and found no signs of CO or any other gasses in the air. They reset the alarms and left instructions with the owner.

Old alarms: At 10:27 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to a fire alarm inside a home. Upon arrival, they were met by the homeowner who said he was unable to get his smoke alarms to turn off, and he was unaware of when the batteries had last been changed. Firefighters found that the smoke detectors in the home were almost 17 years old, and recommended replacing all of them. No signs of fire were found.

Strange odor: At 10:58 p.m., firefighters responded to a report of gas odor at The Club at Snoqualmie Ridge. The caller stated it was strongest in the kitchen and he was concerned it wasn’t safe. This area was also affected by the power outage on Snoqualmie Ridge. Firefighters walked the entire structure, and noticed a slight odor of natural gas inside the main kitchen, but were unable to pinpoint a source. All pilot lights appeared to be lit, however the ventilation system was not working. Responders walked with a gas monitor and found that there was no obvious gas reading, no CO, and everything appeared to be normal. The scene was turned over to the general manager with follow-up instructions to monitor the situation.

Wednesday, Nov. 15

False alarm: At 6:42 p.m., Snoqualmie firefighters were dispatched to a fire alarm at the new MOD Pizza restaurant on Snoqualmie Ridge. They found that the alarm was set off by a child who activated the pull station; they reset the alarm and let patrons back inside.

Medical aid: In addition, Snoqualmie EMTs responded to 13 medical aid incidents, bringing the total number of calls to date to 948.

More in News

Football coaches butt heads: Mount Si and Mount Vernon coaches display unsportsmanlike behaviors

Both school districts are investigating the behavior of their coaches following state playoff game.

Peter Gabryjelski and other fourth-grade students from Ms. Cuddihy’s class welcome veterans as they enter the Snoqualmie Elementary Veterans Day assembly on Nov. 9. Madison Miller/staff photo
Snoqualmie Elementary fourth graders honor veterans with assembly

Ms. Cuddihy’s fourth graders host a Veterans Day breakfast and assembly for the 10th year.

Sallal announced that they made repairs to the vandalized water tank on Nov. 3. They finished test results and lifted the no drink order on Nov. 10. Photo courtesy of Sallal Water Association
No drink order lifted on North Bend homes

Locals in 82 homes were ordered to not drink their tap water for about 10 days.

Snoqualmie Casino staff members surround a gaming table in the new private gaming room at Snoqualmie Casino. Photo courtesy of Tarah Smigun
Snoqualmie Casino gets private gaming room

The addition is the final casino upgrade of 2018.

Snoqualmie Council approves Salish expansion project master plan application

The Salish Lodge and Spa Expansion project has passed another milestone on the path to construction.

King County considers how to invest in Snoqualmie River flood infrastructure

County representatives met in North Bend to talk with residents about an investment plan.

Veteran’s, Josh Harris and Asa Palagi start security company in early 2018 called Cascadia Global Security. Photo courtesy of CGS.
Two veterans launch private security company

Asa Palagi and Josh Harris start Cascadia Global Security to provide personalized security

North Bend completes full renovation of NE 12th Street

North Bend has completed a long time priority project, the improvement of NE 12th Street.

Sallal announced that they made repairs to the vandalized water tank on Nov. 3. They are still awaiting test results before lifting the no drink order. Photo courtesy of Sallal Water Association
Police interview teen in connection to water tower vandalism

The affected North Bend Homes are still under a no drink order as Sallal runs further tests.

Most Read