News

Construction accident leads to gas leak at Mount Si High School

By Allison Espiritu

Staff Reporter

A contractor working on bond upgrades at Mount Si High School Thursday evening, Oct. 15, accidentally sliced open a two-inch gas line near a meter outside the school, causing a leak.

Puget Sound Energy and 911 were immediately contacted and responded, and the building and sports field were evacuated, according to Snoqualmie Valley School District Spokeswoman Carolyn Malcolm.

Puget Sound Energy crews needed six hours to repair the break. Staff and custodians were allowed back inside around 9 p.m. By 11 p.m., all repairs were completed.

The district also brought in PBS Environmental Engineering of Seattle to do an air quality check in every classroom, confirm that it was safe for students to occupy classes, Malcolm said.

The break did not delay any of the construction the contractors were doing. Classes were held as normal Friday.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Dec 17
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.