- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Valley venues get history nod
Three historic Snoqualmie Valley venues — North Bend’s Cook Building, Snoqualmie’s Woodman Lodge and the Northwest Railway Museum — were singled out Friday, May 29, for historic preservation honors.
The three venues were named by King County Councilmember Kathy Lambert, R-Redmond, and Republican Congressman David Reichert for the ninth annual John D. Spellman Awards for Exemplary Achievement in Historic Preservation.
Nearly a century old, North Bend’s Cook Building — a gateway to North Bend’s historic commercial cistrict — was stripped of its Alpine motif, torn down to bare walls and, with the aid of historic photographs, rebuilt to replicate a 1929 remodel that added a cornice and other ornamentation to an otherwise modest concrete structure.
Owners David and Lisa Cook are the award recipients in the reconstruction category. The award recognizes excellence in reconstruction of a historic building and exemplifies how historic preservation, when done properly, can enhance historic districts and spur economic growth.
Snoqualmie’s Woodman’s Lodge received awards for both rehabilitation and new construction.
The 1902 building, originally a fraternal building and a longtime community gathering place, was given a major facelift and now houses the Woodman Lodge Steakhouse and Saloon.
Owner Peter LaHaye and Tonkin Hoyne Architects received the award for their design of a new addition to the historic building. The project artfully incorporated the modernization necessary to accommodate the requirements of the restaurant and a new kitchen wing on the rear of the building, while restoring and retaining the historic features of the 1902 building.
The Northwest Railway Museum in Snoqualmie was honored for its work in restoring an historic caboose. The project was completed through more than 4,400 volunteer-hours.
The White River Lumber Company Caboose 001, built in 1945, was originally constructed with recycled materials, as required by a wartime ration board in Enumclaw. The need for this piece of rolling stock stemmed from a state administrative safety rule requiring a caboose on log trains of more than ten cars — previously the loggers rode atop the flatcars and logs in the open air.
The 24-foot car was honored for representing the innovation, adaptability, and elegant simplicity that characterized logging by rail in the Northwest.
The awards program was named after the first King County Executive, John D. Spellman, under whose leadership in 1980 the King County Historic Preservation Program and Landmarks Commission were established.