Asbestos forces fire house evacuation

The discovery of asbestos in North Bend Fire Station 87 on Thursday, Feb. 14 forced rescuers to temporarily relocate to sites where quarters were cramped, but their ability to respond to emergencies wasn't hindered.

Testing for asbestos was in response to a report filed by a firefighter concerned that the contaminant had been stirred up during a recent kitchen remodel in the decades-old station.

Asbestos is naturally-occuring, but when it becomes airborne, it can cause respiratory disease in people exposed to it over years. Tests for airborne asbestos in the station came back negative, but asbestos dust was found on surfaces in the living area and a stairway.

For the complete story, subscribe to the Valley Record (425) 888-2311

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.