News

Candle causes house fire

CARNATION _ A lit candle apparently ignited a blaze that


caused $60,000 in damage to a residential home on August, 1. No one was


home at the time of the fire.


According to Eastside Fire & Rescue in Carnation, the department


was called at 6:37 a.m. to battle a structure fire in the 32100 block of


East Reitze Street. A neighbor had heard the fire and called 911.


Assisting ESF&R were units from the Duvall and Redmond fire


departments.


Once there, firefighters saw flames coming out a side window of


the house, which threatened a neighboring home. They managed to quell


the flames and then went through the front door to put out the remaining fire.


After the fire was out, a King County fire investigator and


an ESF&R marshal determined a candle that had been burning in a


bedroom started the blaze. They estimated damage to the house was $60,000


— $50,000 for the structure and $10,000 for items inside the house.


They also learned that a puppy owned by the residents of the


house died from asphyxiation.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Nov 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.