- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Historical documentary released
North Bend resident Bill Walker was pleased as his video project
titled "Life Along the Tracks: The Milwaukee Railroad in the Snoqualmie
Valley" was completed after four years of research, planning and production.
The video details the lives of people who worked on and for
the Milwaukee, St. Paul, Pacific Railroad, which ran through the Valley for
The 30-minute video debuted at the North Bend Theatre in early
October and is for sale at the Snoqualmie Valley Historical Museum in
North Bend and the Northwest Railway Museum in Snoqualmie.
Council approves water program
Although members of the Metropolitan King County Council
voted last year to extend the surface water management service to eastern
King County, the project didn't get the final go-ahead until Sept. 25, with a
recommendation that $500,000 be spent as soon as possible on the most
pressing drainage problems.
At the same time, the council approved funds that would help
purchase flood-prone homes along the Snoqualmie River.
County officials said that since 1992, more than 850 drainage
complaints have been lodged by property owners, but the county was unable
to do anything because it lacked money. With the surface water
management program, they said, county engineers can begin looking for ways to fix
Twede's Café painter arrested
The man who painted Twede's Café without permission in
September was arrested on the 25th for trying it again.
Jody Campbell, 32, who told the Valley Record that he worked
on painting the café's exterior on several occasions, could be charged with
malicious mischief for his refusal to leave the café and the town's other
Campbell was arrested after he was discovered trying to paint
Twede's again, a task he said he was completing because someone had called
him in the middle of the night and told him to paint the town of North Bend.
Sallal Grange turns 70
The Sallal Grange in October celebrated its 70th anniversary as a
Valley gathering place.
The Grange, a family-oriented community service organization
with agricultural roots, and organized in 1930. A permanent building was
constructed for members in 1953.
Nationally, the organization has existed for 132 years.
Fire causes power outage
A blown transformer substation in North Bend sparked a brush fire
and caused a power outage for residents on Oct. 6.
Eastside Fire & Rescue crews responded to the fire in the 200 block
of Thrasher Avenue at approximately 4 p.m. Firefighters faced several
obstacles in battling the blaze, including windy conditions, energized
power lines and utility pole fires.
No injuries were reported, but power was turned off for about
four and a half hours.
Report: Sprawl threatens foothills
A report released the second week in October by the non-profit
environmental coalition 1,000 Friends of Washington ranks the foothills of
the Cascade Mountains as one of the most endangered areas in the state due to
growing population and increased development.
The report listed the top 10 threatened areas in Washington,
from Roslyn to Lake Whatcom, and Mount Rainier National Park to the
Little Spokane River. The group used several factors in deciding which
areas would be on the list, including overall growth rate, public interest,
scenic quality and opportunity for change.
King County offers heating assistance to residents
Because of high home-heating costs this year, the King County
Housing Authority offered free installation of insulation mechanical
ventilation, thermal windows and draft-sealing and furnace repairs, through its
weatherization program to residents who can't afford these services and
need help with high heating bills.
As many as 178 Valley homes were serviced last year.
Company fined for accident
A Wisconsin golf course construction company was fined more
than $17,000 by the state Department of Labor and Industries after an
investigation found the company violated several safety procedures that
contributed to the death of a worker in May.
Jose F. Galdamez was killed May 7 when the trench he was working
in collapsed at The Members Club at Alderra golf course in Fall City,
98902 S.E. Duthie Hill Road. Galdamez died while trying to free his
21-year-old son, Michael Galdamez, from the ditch. After four hours, crews freed
the son, who suffered a fractured left leg.
The Washington Industrial Safety and Health Act Services
Division found seven "serious" violations
while conducting its investigation, which resulted in a $17,480 fine for
Oliphant Golf Construction Inc. of Madison, Wis.