- About Us
Railway museum is on the move
SNOQUALMIE - The Northwest Railway Museum is busy preparing for restoration of two artifacts over the next year.
The first is the 1944 White River Lumber Co. caboose (right). White River Lumber was actually owned by Weyerhaeuser Co. since 1929, with the name changing in 1949.
The caboose pictured was used on the White River branch of logging operations near Enumclaw. It was in desperate need of restoration since it was donated by Weyerhaeuser in 1974, having once been used as a shed.
In addition to the caboose, NRM moved its engine No. 11 (above) from storage to an area near the depot in Snoqualmie.
The 1926 2-6-6-2 Mallet was originally built for Ostrander Railroad and Timber Co. near Longview. It was sold to Weyerhaeuser in the late 1930s for use near Klamath Falls, Ore. It was later sold to Cosmos Lumber Co. near Chehalis and later to U.S. Plywood Corp.
It was also displayed on the campus of the University of Washington and is still owned by Washington State Parks, which leases it to NRM. It was operated by the museum until the early 1990s. NRM, along with help from the Snoqualmie Valley Chamber of Commerce, plans to cosmetically renovate the engine and place it on display near the intersection of Snoqualmie Parkway and State Route 202 to attract more tourist traffic into downtown Snoqualmie.