- About Us
Annual fishing derby offers kids a chance to catch the big one
Mount Si Fish and Game Club will again be holding its annual Kid's Trout Derby at the ponds behind the Snoqualmie Department of Public Safety building on Snoqualmie Ridge at 34825 S.E. Douglas St. The derby is scheduled for Saturday, May 3, starting as soon as the sun peaks over the Cascades until 10 a.m. Fish can be weighed in starting at 6:30 a.m.
Any youth past their sixth birthday and under 15 years of age may compete. Younger children are welcome to fish but can't take part in the competition. All must adhere to the following rules:
* No registration is necessary.
* All trout must be caught in the ponds at the police department.
* Fish must be neatly cleaned and gills removed before being entered.
* Size of trout will be judged by weight only.
* Only the largest fish from each catch will be entered, but bring the whole catch. The limit in juvenile waters is two fish.
* Four prizes will be awarded in each age group from 6 to 14. There will be 36 prizes in all. Judges' decisions are final.
* In case of ties, the first fish entered at that weight will win.
* Contestants must do their own fishing. However, the small fisherman may have help baiting the hook, taking trout off the hook, untangling tackle, etc. In no case may anyone but the young fisherman touch the rod or reel or line while a fish is being hooked or landed.
* Anyone caught breaking the fishing laws or conducting themselves in an unsportsmanlike manner will be barred from the contest.
* No fishing nets are to be used.
In addition, the Mount Si Fish and Game Club accepts no responsibility for the safety of the contestants. Dogs are to be left at home and property should be respected, trash picked up and parking policies followed. Parents are urged to accompany children. Hot chocolate and doughnuts will be provided to the contestants.