North Bend man charged in road rage incident

REDMOND - Prosecutors have charged a North Bend man with multiple felonies following an apparent road rage incident in which he allegedly fired a handgun twice at another car in downtown Redmond.

Edward Adam Pebley, 26, is charged with two counts of second-degree assault and one count of drive-by shooting. He pleaded not guilty to the charges July 12 and remains in custody at the King County Jail on $500,000 bail.

Redmond police responded to witness reports of shots fired on the Redmond-Fall City Road about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 29. According to charging papers, witnesses told police they'd seen a man brandishing a handgun while driving recklessly in a black SUV eastbound on Redmond Way.

Witnesses said the man fired two shots at another vehicle while chasing it through a Shell gas station parking lot. Police found one shell casing in the area, prosecutors said.

Witnesses first saw the SUV tailgating on East Lake Sammamish Parkway Northeast, police said. The driver apparently became enraged at a slower-moving vehicle and chased it around the service station at East Lake Sammamish Parkway and Redmond Way.

No one was injured and no property damage was reported.

Using a license plate number provided by witnesses, police matched the SUV to a black 2002 Chevy Trailblazer owned by Pebley, who works as a UPS manager. After identifying Pebley, police arranged a photo montage for victims and witnesses to view. Several identified Pebley's photo as the shooter.

Knowing the man to be armed, police staked out Pebley's North Bend house until they spotted his vehicle about 2:30 a.m. After the officers called for back up, other marked cars arrived with emergency lights and sirens and Pebley sped away, prosecutors said.

The pursuit reached speeds near 120 mph as they chased the SUV in and around Snoqualmie and North Bend for about 20 minutes. The suspect then pulled onto a forest access road near Exit 38 off Interstate 90 and stopped. Police called in a SWAT team and waited several hours for the man to step out of the SUV.

Pebley surrendered about 9:30 a.m. and was taken into custody.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.