Arrest made in North Bend sexual assault case

NORTH BEND - A North Bend man has been charged with one count of first-degree burglary and one count of second-degree rape in the case of a woman who was sexually assaulted while sleeping next to her husband in North Bend.

The man, Michael Hudson, 18, was arrested by King County Sheriff deputies on Aug. 18. He is being held in the King County jail under a $100,000 bond.

According to documents released by the King County Prosecutor's Office, the North Bend woman and her husband went to bed on the night of July 29 at about 11:30 p.m. The woman awoke at about 2 a.m. the following day and felt someone touching her. After realizing it was not her husband, the woman looked to see a man at the foot of her bed. Once she looked at the man, he pulled his hand away and the woman screamed, waking her husband. The man fled out a bedroom window and the woman and her husband called police. When the woman was asked by her husband what the man looked like, she described someone they knew from high school but had not seen in many years.

When King County deputies arrived at the home, they found a lawn chair that had been moved under the open bedroom window, as well as a watch and a pair of shoes near the chair. Inside the room, they also found a baseball hat. None of the items left behind belonged to the couple and detectives were also able to take prints from the lawn chair.

Later that morning, a Washington State trooper stopped the man who the North Bend couple had known from high school while the man was riding his bicycle. The man was taken into custody and was brought before the woman for identification. The woman thought the man looked like the one who had assaulted her, but she said the assailant was younger and had a full head of hair. The man who was stopped had a mohawk. He was later released.

On Aug. 12, a man was arrested for being a minor in possession of alcohol. He vaguely fit the description of the assailant so a deputy showed him a picture of the hat left behind at the house of the victim. The man said he and his cousin had worn the hat before, but that the hat now belonged to another cousin, Michael Hudson. The man also said the watch found at the home belonged to Hudson. The man gave a DNA sample to deputies and said that he was in Canada visiting family at the time of the assault.

When deputies went to visit the grandfather of the man they arrested for possession of alcohol, they were told the man was in Canada at the time of the assault. The grandfather did recognize the pair of shoes that were left behind at the home as a pair he had seen while Hudson and one of Hudson's cousins had stayed at the grandfather's house. The two had stayed at the grandfather's house while he and his grandson where in Canada, which was also when the assault occurred.

That same day, Hudson's cousin was contacted by deputies at work, where he told them he gave the hat in the picture to Hudson last summer. The man said that on the night of the assault, he and Hudson were drinking at a bridge in North Bend when Hudson told him he was going to the home of a girl he had met at a party. Hudson said he didn't know where the girl lived but set out on his bicycle on a trail that went by the victim's house. The cousin went to sleep at the house he and Hudson were staying at and awoke the next morning to find Hudson asleep. Hudson did not have his baseball hat, his shoes or his watch on. When Hudson woke up, he told his cousin that he had been chased by police, causing him to lose those items. Hudson's cousin denied any further knowledge of the crime and provided a DNA sample for the deputies.

Deputies obtained a booking photo of Hudson taken earlier this year and showed it, along with other photos, to the victim. The victim pointed out the photo of Hudson, but was not completely sure he was her assailant.

On Aug. 18, a deputy located Hudson camping a half mile off Boalch Avenue. Hudson was arrested for investigation of the assault and was brought before the victim two days later in a suspect line-up. Within seconds of Hudson coming into the room, the victim picked Hudson out of the line-up and identified him as the man who raped her. Hudson gave a DNA sample, which the Washington State Patrol is checking to compare with evidence taken at the crime scene.

Hudson will be arraigned on Aug. 30 and faces 102-136 months (approximately 10 years) in prison if convicted of both counts.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.