- About Us
American Legion has long history in Valley
Eleventh District officers of the Department of Washington American Legion and Auxiliary came to Renton-Pickering Post No. 79 Oct. 12 for their annual district visitation.
Members attending were in for several surprises as the evening progressed. American Legion Post No. 79 Auxiliary President Katherine Kerr presented member Rosa Koering with her 20-year pin and a certificate for all she has done to help veterans. Also receiving an award for his distinguished and hard work in the American Legion was Wallace Koering, who had served as post commander for at least the last 10 years.
Another surprise to all was the unveiling of the original charters of the two local American Legion posts started in the Snoqualmie Valley. The newly restored, mounted and framed charters were unveiled by present post commander Steve Fenton and post adjutant Rick DeWitt. The charters were hung on the wall inside the American Legion Post on River Street in Snoqualmie across from the old fire station.
The original post was chartered Dec. 12, 1919, in North Bend. This was the David Renton Post No. 79. The Lester B. Pickering Post No. 102 received its charter Jan. 30, 1922, in Duvall. Due to membership numbers and popularity, these two posts merged and a new charter was issued Sept. 14, 1925. The name of this new post was Renton-Pickering Post No. 79 and the charter was issued at Fall City.
The American Legion Auxiliary received its first charter in the Snoqualmie Valley at Fall City Oct. 30, 1925. It was again issued in 1994 at the American Legion Post No. 79 in Snoqualmie.
The building, which is now home for the American Legion, was the original Snoqualmie Valley United Methodist Church. In 1924, after the church building had been outgrown by its population, it was loaded onto logs and rolled or skidded across the street to its present location. A new church was then built on the corner where the old church had been moved from.