Valley survives record flood

The damage has been done and all that's left to do is put everything back together again. As the waters recede, many in Snoqualmie Valley are assessing the damage to their homes. Many neighborhoods were swamped by record floods, but it could have been worse.

"I don't want to minimize anybody's loss, but it could have been a lot worse," said Snoqualmie Mayor Matt Larson. The situation was similar in North Bend, said North Bend Mayor Ken Hearing. Both mayors and city staff spent much of last week surveying their cities and working with the American Red Cross to determine the extent of the damage.

Snoqualmie city employees went door-to-door over the weekend helping residents remove flood-damaged debris. Both cities set up stations to collect debris last week. Two stations will remain in Snoqualmie - at the corner of Railroad Avenue and King Street and the Centennial Fields parking lot on Park Street - through Sunday, Nov. 19.

Hazardous waste (paints, pesticides, spray cans, herbicides, solvents and other chemicals) may be brought to the King Street site.

King County voted Nov. 13 to waive disposal fees for residents with flood damage who bring loads to the King County Solid Waste Division transfer stations and drop boxes Nov. 18-19.

"Since the disposal of solid waste material resulting from the storm at normal disposal fees would cause financial hardship for many property owners and could delay the cleanup of debris, I want King County to waive disposal fees for residents with storm damage," said King County Executive Ron Sims.

State, county and local officials are collecting information about private and public flood damage to assist with requests for federal disaster assistance.

For damage reports:

* City of Snoqualmie residents should call the city planning department at (425) 888-5337 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

* City of North Bend residents should call the city public works department at (425) 888-0486 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

* Residents of rural King County should call (800) 523-5044 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Damage reports

should include:

* Name and address of the affected property

* Description of damages

* Personal estimate of both insured and uninsured losses

* Estimates of the fair market value of the damaged home or business.

Do not report damage of detached garages and storage buildings, secondary homes or recreational homes.

Homeowners should contact their insurance agent for claims or losses covered under flood insurance.

Call (425) 888-5911 or (425) 888-5435 for a list of qualified plumbers, electricians or other professionals to assist with clean up assistance or building repairs.

Many repairs require a building permit; contact the appropriate city or county planning department.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.