- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Fire damages Mount Si High School kiln, art room, and roof
A chimney fire in an art room kiln at Mount Si High School caused an estimated $10,000 in damage to the ventilation system and roof area surrounding it.
The incident occurred just after noon on Thursday, March 20. The Snoqualmie Fire Department responded to an automatic fire alarm at the school and a 911 call. Snoqualmie police notified fire fighters that there was smoke in part of the school. Units were dispatched from Fall City and Eastside Fire & Rescue. Firefighters arrived on scene in just over six minutes.
Once on scene, fire fighters found heat and smoke in the kiln room and an area burning around the chimney. They quickly applied water and tore back the roof to confirm it was not spreading. Nineteen firefighters and three chief officers responded to the incident. No civilian or fire fighter injuries were reported.
Initially, the students evacuated the school, but were soon brought back into the gymnasium and later back to their classrooms.
“These types of fires are fairly rare,” said Fire Chief Correira. “Fortunately, the alarm system and the quick response from the school and fire fighters helped limit the amount of damage.”
The Snoqualmie Fire Department provides fire and life safety response, prevention, and education to the residents and businesses of Snoqualmie, Snoqualmie schools, the Snoqualmie Casino, and Echo Glen Children’s Center. Please contact the Snoqualmie Fire Department at 425-888-1551 if you have any questions about fire and life safety issues.