- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Chimney fire spreads, damages historic Snoqualmie home
A wood stove that was installed inappropriately caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to a single family home in the historic downtown area of Snoqualmie.
According to reports from the city, the incident occurred just after noon on Monday, Feb.3 on the 38000 block of Southeast Northern Street.
A 911 call was received from the homeowner who was at home at the time of the fire, Snoqualmie and Fall City firefighters responded to the incident and arrived within six minutes. Once on scene, firefighters found another resident putting water on the fire. He was home at the same time the homeowner discovered the fire. Firefighters further extinguished the fire and confirmed that it had not spread into other areas of the home.
According to Snoqualmie Fire Chief Mark Correira, the fire was believed to have started in the chimney chase after the woodstove piping failed and collapsed.
"The fire burned up the chimney chase and crept into the attic,” he said. “This fire could have been much worse had it not been discovered so early, or had the occupants not reacted so quickly."
The U.S. Fire Administration reports that heating fires account for 36% of residential home fires in rural areas each year. The Snoqualmie Fire Department reminds all residents to have their chimneys cleaned and inspected annually. More fire safety information can be found at www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens.