Wilderness Rim man rescued from roof

Firefighters rescued the occupant of a Wilderness Rim home from his roof early Tuesday, March 25, after he attempted to fight the spread of a chimney fire with a garden hose.

The fire was reported at 6:12 a.m. at the 16800 block of 426th Place Southeast. Residents evacuated the house, while trying to control it with the hose.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, smoke and flames were coming from the chimney chase and the roof of the house. They rescued the man on the roof, and the rest of the family was safely evacuated. Firefighters extinguished the fire by working from inside and outside the house.

An investigation by the King County Fire MarshalÂ’s Office is underway. No injuries were reported, but damage from the blaze was initially estimated at $100,000.

Eastside Fire and Rescue responded 11 months ago to a report of a possible chimney fire at the same address. Overhaul of the fire was hampered by possible asbestos in the building, according to reports.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.