- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Pumping you up: Almost Strongest Man contest returns to North Bend Block Party
Could the world's strongest man reside in North Bend?
Find out, when Alpine Fitness and Emerald City Smoothie will winnow down all comers to crown the Almost Strongest Man competition winner at the North Bend Downtown Block Party.
The fitness competition is 6 p.m. Saturday, July 17. Giveaways include free stuff from local businesses.
"The real prize is bragging rights," said Jordan Bullock, a trainer at Alpine Fitness who will compete for the second year.
"It's a thing for people to have fun and get a taste of what we do at the gym," he said.
Events include the farmer's walk, in which lifters carry heavy metal pipes, and the atlas stone carry, where contestants muscle a heavy concrete ball on their shoulders. New this year is a wheelbarrow event. Contestants may have to haul big weights — or a team member.
Many of the contestants are bodybuilders and competitive lifters.
"Strength has always been an aim for me," said Bullock, who trains for bodybuilding competitions at the gym.
Learn more about the Almost Strongest Man Contest by calling Alpine Fitness at (425) 888-0046.
Bullock offers tips for contestants in the Almost Strongest Man competition to stay healthy and strong.
• Dress right. Contestants usually wear shorts and tanks to stay cool. Some also wear weight lifting belts to keep their backs safe.
• Drink water. The contest is tiring, especially when it's hot out. Contestants can get dehydrated easily.
• Eat right. Bullock gets in some calories, protein and carbs in ahead of time.
• Know your limits. Understand what your range is and what weights you can handle.
• Stay in shape and stay strong.