- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Historical Society shares lost legacies at Fall City Days
The passage of time has brought big changes to Fall City.
But the Fall City Historical Society provides a window in the past, with its "Things No Longer There" display for Fall City Days.
The booth includes photographs of early businesses, schools, bridges and other structures, with maps to show their former locations.
One example is the Hamilton Confectionary building, shown through Frank Howell's 1908 River Street photo, when it was operated as the Olympia Bar by the Bertrand Brothers.
The bar closed sometime around 1915, and Charles and Minnie Moore operated a restaurant in this building to feed the men working on the Milwaukee Railroad. The building was then sold to John Leslie, who operated a Confectionary there. In 1926, he sold the building to Henry Hamilton and it became Hamilton’s Confectionary. Not too long after that, Hamilton sold the building to George Bennett, who moved it to Taylor Street (now Preston-Fall City Road) where it became part of his Second Hand Store; his family lived upstairs. The business was later sold and the building burned down in 1964.
Another interesting example of a long-gone institution is the Raging River Auto Camp. Many people remember its large swimming tank. The camp was opened in 1930 by J.T. Salmonson, but did not stay in business long, perhaps due to the Depression — or maybe the flood of 1935, which wiped out Morton’s Dance Hall just downriver. It was located at 5431 Preston-Fall City Rd SE.
The Historical Society booth includes an opportunity to view the progress of "Preserving the Stories of Fall City," the Fall City Memory Book moving toward publication later this year. Community support is being sought to help cover publication costs, and a generous matching grant has been received which will double the amount of all contributions made this summer.
The Hop Shed Open House will not take place this year. Look for history of early hops growing at the main Historical Society booth.