- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
History in a glass: Get a memento of Fall City's historic Methodist Church at Fall City Days
The Fall City Historical Society's collector glass, available during Fall City Days, honors the historic Fall City Methodist Church.
The collectible glasses cost $8, or $15 for set of two. Sales help the society preserve local history.
According to Jack Kelley's "History of Fall City," the present United Methodist Church, at the corner of Main and Third streets, was originally built in 1899 by the Baptists.
It was once known as the Fall City Community Church.
"The Baptists intended that the building be used by other denominations as well, and the Methodists, who were gaining in numbers, gladly shared the building," Kelley wrote.
The building was added to over the years, starting with an addition for Sunday School rooms in 1910.
By 1919, the Methodists had bought the building for $250. Circa 1927, the Methodists bought the former Valley Hotel property across Main Street. The hotel had burned in 1910 and was never rebuilt. In 1929, the church was moved across main street, rolled on logs, and rotated to face the street.
Kelley remembered Tom and Katie Carbough, caretakers of the church for some years.
"Tom passed away in 1936 and Katie, who was as poor as the proverbial 'church mouse,' kept her job as custodian to keep the wolf away from her door," he wrote. "Katie lived in an old shack on Eva Street, and walked to and from the church each time to open, clean or close the building. We could always tell when Katie was going to or coming from the church because she carried her alarm clock in her right hand. Katie was sort of a fixture in town, in that she was a very quiet person and walked everywhere she went. Once in a while, someone would stop their car and offer her a lift. She’d bend over and look to see who the offer came from. If she recognized the driver, she might get in."
From 1944 until 1957, the Sunday School rooms housed the Fall City Library.
"The librarian was Mrs Mary Stokes, a strict Catholic, who never let the fact that she was working in a Methodist Church get in the way," Kelley wrote.
More additions were made in the 1950s and '60s. In 1985, the United Methodist Church celebrated its centennial.
The Methodist congregation meets here to this day. The basement is home to the Fall City Food Pantry.