- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Out of the Past: Babysitter, passerby rescue children from burning Snoqualmie building
The following stories made the news in the Valley 50 and 25 years ago, as found in the Snoqualmie Valley Record archives:
Thursday, Nov. 17, 1988
• A Montesano man and a young babysitter braved fire and smoke to make sure everybody got out of a burning apartment building in Snoqualmie on Wednesday. The fire started with bedding placed by a baseboard heater, and fanned by winds, was raging in minutes. Passing on his way to work at the Tanner Mill, Lonnie Brumfield, Jr., got out of his car to help. He crawled past a burning door and saved a young boy. Babysitter Rachel Self woke up residents and carried out her three charges.
• The towns of North Bend and Snoqualmie were platted in 1889 and are getting into the spirit of their joint centennial with Washington state. A birthday cake donated by George's Bakery was brought to Pike Place Market in Seattle by a delegation from the Valley. Margie Giodano-Kowalski, David Battey, Dick Hamm and Terry and Sharon Mills dressed up in late-19th century garb.
Thursday, Nov. 21, 1963
• Tolt High School student Janet Remlinger has 90 feet of chain she has made from gum wrappers. She is a long way from her goal of 1,000 feet. That represents a lot of gum. No word from the dentists.
• Preliminary steps to enlarge the fire hall in North Bend were taken by the town council.
• Mrs. Ruth H. Davis of North Bend was hurt when her car went through the guardrail and over a 125-foot bank on the Falls Hill. She saw an object in the road, swerved, and lost control on the slippery highway.