Thursday, Dec. 3, 1992
• King County is considering construction of a shooting park near North Bend to house police training facilities and shooting ranges for private gun clubs and the general public. Located on 636 acres of Weyerhaeuser property, the McLeod Lake site, about five miles north of North Bend, is one of four locations being considered for the county facilities. The project could especially benefit the Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club, which had already formulated plans with Weyerhaeuser to build a smaller rifle range at McLeod Lake.
• On Nov. 17, Dorothy Miller was honored by Sallal Grange for her 60 years of Grange membership. She became a member Oct. 20, 1932. Joyce Littlejohn of Mount Si Rebekah Lodge and Gladys Wilson of Royal Neighbors both spoke on Miller’s activities in their respective organizations. Rosezetta Knott, Washington State Grange Deputy Master and Janet Gwyn, King County Pomona Grange Master, both congratulated Miller.
Thursday, Nov. 30, 1967
• The most popular husband and father in the Valley right now is Wayne Torluemke, of Fall City. After all, it isn’t every provider who brings home a $5,000 bonus just before Christmas. The cash came to Torluemke in a ceremony Monday at which is employer, International Business Machines, presented him the money for a detailed suggestion he made several years ago that has helped IBM improve its typewriters.
• Robert Baker, 3, who was seriously hurt Nov. 19 when struck by a grader in the Mount Si High School parking area, is alive this week, and smiling. But it will be a while before he runs behind a big piece of road equipment again. Both legs, the femurs fractured, are in casts and suspended above his bed at Children’s Orthopedic Hospital in Seattle.
• Air Force Sgt. Larry J. Smith, 26, the son of Mrs. Rosella Smith of Carnation, recently was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and four oak leaf clusters to the Air Medal for “participating in long and arduous missions over hostile areas” in Southeast Asia. A graduate of Tolt High School, he has been in the Air Force about six years.