Valley artists' works come to life at Si View's Festival Hall
August 10, 2012 · 10:11 AM
The 2012 Festival at Mount Si—August 10, 11, and 12—promises fun for the entire family. With a Grand Parade, chili cook-off, cherry pie–eating contest, fireworks, music, beer garden, and so much more, there is something for everyone.
Of particular interest are the art displays, demonstrations, and performances in the Festival Hall, sponsored by Snoqualmie Valley Arts—a nonprofit organization of artists and art lovers, dedicated to promoting artists and the arts in the Valley.
A sampling of demonstrations and performances taking place in the Festival Hall includes:
Friday evening, Aug. 10
• 5 p.m.: Cascade Dance Company
• 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.: Sno Valley Winds; The Sno Valley Winds community band practices regularly during the school year, with scattered practices during summer before events. The band, directed by Mike Herb, meets at 7 p.m. Mondays at Snoqualmie Middle School during the school year. Adults over 18 are welcome to join, and you don’t need to be a current player.
Saturday and Sunday, all day
• The Valley’s premier potter, Jeff Griswold, throws amazing pottery creations on his wheel.
• National award-winning creative stitchery artist, Richard Buchmiller, demonstrates counted cross stitch.
• Hilde Gettinger, textile artist, demonstrates weaving and spinning, and will have a loom for children to try.
• John Mullen, Master Carver with the Snoqualmie Tribe, demonstrates wood carving.
• Local artists’ displays.
Saturday, Aug. 11
• 1 to 3:30 p.m.: Jeff Waters, President of Northwest Watercolor Society, offers tips and techniques to take years off the learning curve for anyone interested in improving their painting techniques.
• 3:30 to 4 p.m.: Veils of the Nile Belly Dance Company show off their traditional dances.
Sunday, Aug. 12
• 2 to 3 p.m.: Mt. Si Gymnastics
Snoqualmie Valley Arts is in need of volunteers for set-up and take-down of the festival display props. If you are interested and available, contact Melissa von Tschudi at (206) 250-2198 for details.